- Book Caster ►▲▼ [-17] – This flaw reflects that the individual has trained to cast spells directly from a book giving instructions. Whenever the individual tries to cast a spell without a spell book explaining the spell, he must make a Spell Casting Static Maneuver with an additional penalty of –50.
- Clumsy Spell Manipulator ►▲▼ [-10] – The flaw reflects that the individual has innate difficulties modifying spells. This talent gives a special –20 penalty to the Spell Mastery skills.
- Easily Distracted ►▲▼ [-20] – This flaw reflects that the individual is easily distracted. Whenever the individual takes damage or stun, he always loses any spell being prepared or in progress of being cast and whenever the individual is adversely affected by a spell, he has a 50% chance of losing any spell being prepared or in progress of being cast.
- Narrow Focused Spell Learner ▲▼ [-10] – This flaw reflects that the individual has difficulty spread his attention among many things. The caster can only learn 3 spell lists per level with out penalty, then three for each increase in the penalty.
- Overly Cautious Caster ►▲▼ [-10] – This flaw reflects that the individual strongly believes in carefully planning and executing his spells. The caster must use at least 3 rounds of preparation whenever the spell casting static maneuver penalty from rounds of preparation is negative for the level of the spell being cast.
- Single-Minding Casting ►▲▼ [-13] – This flaw reflects that the individual focuses most of his awareness and energy into casting spells. The individual takes only half penalties from things that may disrupt his spells but suffers a –20 to his DB versus melee weapons, missile weapons, and directed spells and a –20 to all Alertness rolls.
- Slow Caster ►▲▼ [-15] – This flaw reflects that the individual has to take extra time to cast spells. The individual must use an extra +25% action to cast non-instantaneous spells, an extra +10% action to cast instantaneous spells and may not try to reduce the amount of action they can spend casting the spells.
I have extensively tested these rules in numerous campaigns I have run.
An updated spell mastery table is available including all the standard modifications as well as the additional ones found on this page.
Go to my gaming page. I have other rolemaster pages off of it.
This builds upon the Spell Mastery skill as defined in the Rolemaster Standard System and Rolemaster Talent Law. Both of these items are copyright 1995-2000 © Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc., Charlottesville, Virginia USA. Rolemaster is a trademark properties of Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc. (ICE). All rights reserved.
© 1998-2003 Thomas A. Stobie, SFO - Permission to use and copy for personal use is granted.
The majority of the contents were published in the June 1999 issue of the online magazine, Guild Companion.
Last revised 2 Dec 2003.