Majestic Magic Campaign - Character Generation Rules
by Thomas A. Stobie, SFO
These are the rules for character generation for the Majestic Magic Campaign. It is recommended that players read through the campaign site prior to working on character generation.
Gaming System: Rolemaster Standard System (RMSS) & Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplay (RMRFP). This is further supplemented by additional rules I have on my gaming website.
Each character should be played with an appropriate personality, should be good-oriented and a team player. Characters are not just combat or spell machines. Any character of the Channelling realm must choose a Sphere of Influence of his deity.
- Spell Mastery is a very useful skill to generalize if you are a pure spell caster. Remember that you can use extra PPs with spells to improve your spell mastery rolls, so lots of PPs are useful.
- 1 Rank in a skill or category is much better than none. If you see yourself relying on the skill at somepoint, buying at least one rank will help a lot.
- Power Perception skill is useful.
- Secondary skills supporting your main ones are very useful.
Character Generation Procedure
For those who want to play who lack materials (such as some of the RMSS/RMFRP rulebooks), the gamemaster may do some of the mechanics for them. You are asked to have the books containing the spells you have available for your use. For people who want to play, but lack Spell Law (and possibly other books as well), they are asked to play non-spell users.
- Character Concept - All potential players should develop a character concept (inluding race and profession) before doing any other character generation and get this concept approved by the gamemaster.
- Character Basic Development - Select Race, Profession, Talents/Flaws (per Character Law or Talent Law - not what is given in the Rolemaster standard rules book which uses only background options for these), Temporary Stats, Level, and intermediate level DPs for the character. Allocate adolescent development and then first level.
Each player receives 600,000 character generation units (GU) to spend among the following:
- Stat Points (SPs) - 1 SP costs 500 GU. These are the points described in the Rolemaster Standard Rules Section 12.1 (Temporary Stats) and in the similiar section in Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying. The number of points purchased is used instead of the 600+10d10 (or 660) points. Minimum SPs=600. Maximum SPs=800.
- Experience Points (EPs) - 1 EP costs 1 GU. Minimum EPs=110,000 (8th level). Maximum EPs=210,000 (12 level).
- Extra Development Points (DPs) - 1 DP costs 500 GU. The development points are applied between levels to buy skills. Minimum DPs=0. Maximum DPs=200.
- Extra Talent Points (TPs) - 1 TP costs 2000 GU. This purchases additional talents point beyond that normally associated with the race. Minimum TPs=0. Maximum TPs=80.
Each player receives the talent points associated with their race & culture. Flaws can be used to get additional talents. See Talent & Flaw Restrictions below. Background options are not used.
- Gamemaster Review and DP assignment - Send the character (MS Excel format is best) to the gamemaster who will approve (or require changes) and when approved will determine stat potentials, DP's for all remaining levels, and current potential stats at the ultimate level.
- Character Remaining Development - using the provided DP's per level, complete development of the character and send it to the gamemaster for approval.
- Character Description - write out a description of your character on what others perceive when they see your character.
- Player Background - Players need to provide their info to the gamemaster as well. See the player background page for the information required. (If you have info you do not want posted tell the gamemaster with the info.
- Signup for the Yahoo Email group - The earlier the better and the faster you get up to speed..
If you have questions, ask the gamemaster.
Talent & Flaw Restrictions
Flaws that do not limit will not be allowed. Point value of flaws that only restrict somewhat will be reduced.
If you do not have Character Law (RMFRP) or Talent Law (RMSS), please contact the gamemaster about Talents & Flaws.
Available Talents & Flaws by Character Law (and also Talent Law) Headings:
- Special Training - any.
- Physical Abilities - any except Dense, Dwarfism (Minor or Major), Extra Limbs, Flight, Giantism (Major or Greater), Gliding, Pain Resistance (Major or Greater), Poison Sack, Regneration, Sturdy Build, Tensile & Tough Skin.
- Mystical Abilities - any except Ensorcellment Cure, Ethereal Sight, Ethereal Tie, Magic Resistance, Planar Travel, & Visions.
- Mental Abilities - any except Animal Empathy, Empathy, Mental Control, Mental Link, Mental Scan, Telekinesis, Telepathy & Unbeliever.
- Special Abilities - only Luck - Dramatic (Lesser or Minor) or Lucky (Minor) & Stat Bonus (Minor) [can be taken for up to 3 different stats specified by the player].
- Special Status - none.
- Special Items - none.
- Wealth - not applicable.
- Physical Flaws - any except Animal Bane, Epileptic, Physical Investment, Power Burn, & Rain Trauma.
- Mental Flaws - any except Addiction, Delusionary, Easily Charmed, Memory Loss, Muddled Mind, Pacifist (Greater), Paranoid, Sadist, Split Personality, & Trauma.
- Special Flaws - only Lack of Scope, Power Drain, Repulsive Habit (Lesser or Minor), Stat Penalty (Minor) [can be taken for up to 3 different stats specified by the player], & Unlucky.
Sources of additional Talents & Flaws from RMSS documents of mine. - I believe that all talents and flaws are available from these for those who qualify.
- Pure channeling spellcasters get a free specialization in the religion of the deity's sphere of influence.
- All Pure spellcasters get at 5th level access as restricted spell lists the Alchemist Base Lists of their realm (Arcane Realm gets Essence Lists). For those who already have resisted access to one or more of these spell lists, they improve access to that of a closed list.
- All Hybrid spellcasters get at 10th level access as restricted spell lists the Alchemist Base Lists of their realms. For those who already have resisted access to one or more of these spell lists, they improve access to that of a closed list.
- Languages do translate to the Daritopia equivilant.
- Please remember that only those skills listed as Standard Hobby Skills for the race are available as hobby skills.
Go to the Majestic Magic Campaign main page.
Go to my gaming page.
This builds upon the Rolemaster Standard System [RMSS] and Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing [RMFRP]. Copyright 1995-2000 © Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc., Charlottesville, Virginia USA. Rolemaster is a trademark properties of Iron Crown Enterprises, Inc. (ICE). All rights reserved.
© 2003-2004 Thomas A. Stobie, SFO - Permission to use and copy for personal use is granted.
Last revised 6 Aug 2004.